(Murders & Corsets.)
I haven't binged it in its entirety - yet! - but there's a new show that I've been quite obsessed with, lately. And it surely ripped my heart in pieces numerous times. And I've enjoyed it. Therefore, I've decided to ruin your life by telling you about it.
I haven't binged it in its entirety - yet! - but there's a new show that I've been quite obsessed with, lately. And it surely ripped my heart in pieces numerous times. And I've enjoyed it. Therefore, I've decided to ruin your life by telling you about it.
It's a BBC drama set in victorian London - my favourite - following the aftermath in Whitechapel after the Jack the Ripper's killings. Now, I've been a bit sceptical going into it - I didn't want to waste my time with another "entertaining" take on this famous murderer and his victims, because those tend to be "flashy" and "thrilling" in a way that makes them yet another dull and mainstream adventure not at all historicaly accurate and lot of the time - just enjoying the exploitation of women. But I do not want to rant about that here - maybe some other time - because Jack isn't the main focus.
What to say - I've been absolutely captivated by the first season. My breath taken away - I've lost count how many times that was - and I cried. Oh, how I cried (particulary during the fifth episode).
So what's so good about it?
a) The plots.
I'm in the middle of the second season, and while I'm less hooked than during the first, this is still some good quality crime stuff. The first season - oh my - was almost like a drug. The stories were so damn well structured, the twists were amazing, plus the whole victorian aesthetics... dear Gods.
Deat Gods.
Main characters:
Long Susan - Homer Jackson - Edmund Reid - Bennet Drake - Rose
The cast and the people working on the show
b) History
It's not accurate to the letter, there are some bits here and there, that were adjusted to fit the story - but majority of the plots are based on real people and real events of that time.
The original H Division
c) Pretty Ladieees
It's Whitechapel. There are some very pretty ladies. Also strong and clever and kinda doomed by this unequality shit of 19th century. And the show deals with that soooo well.
d) DEAD PEOPLE
It's a crime show. Set in the 19th century. Everybody's pretty much dead now. Yay.
e) More brooding Darcy
It's a crime show. Set in the 19th century. Everybody's pretty much dead now. Yay.
e) More brooding Darcy
The main character - Edmund Reid - is played by non other than Matthew MacFadyen. So if you miss Darcy from Pride and Prejudice looking really sad and doing some stupid shit, and you're up for some murders and violence - this inspector will get your fix.
You never know for certain if he wants to kill you or get you naked.
f) Jerome Flynn
Forget Game of Thrones, Jerome Flynn's performance here is one of the best I have ever seen ever. Bennet Drake is by far my favourite character of them all.
How dare you, sir, how dare you look so damn well with guns. Both in your hands and on your arms.
(Also, I want to crawl back to my bed and cry just from remembering what things happened during this episode x.x)
g) Costumes!
JUST LOOK AT ALL THIS PRETTY STUFF MY HEART IS MELTING WITH JOY. Just look at the embroidery, this is it, this is how heaven looks like.
Daaaaaaaamn.
Anyways, there's still a lot to watch - each episode is an hour long - and even though there are just 8 of them per season, there's still a lot to watch. Mostly because I'm more and more scared what will happen next, so I don't really want to watch it. But I'm excited to find out what will fuck up this time even more, so I really want to watch it. Ugh, I swear, this show will be the death of me.







