25/03/2016

Day 4: Start a gratitude journal.


(Like I can keep any kind of journal going.)

While I don't believe being optimistic is nor wise nor good for one's health, I have always kinda known how important it is to not forget all those little things we do have on a daily basis. Things like sight, hearing, ability to move around, the smell of nature, the beautiful open sky, the magical and powerful INTERNET and yes, I am even grateful for other people. Sometimes. Certainly not always.


My point is that being grateful for things is directly linked to my core or - if I have one - soul. I think it started when I was very young and was made even stronger because of my depression and other fun stuff that make me feel guilty and not worth living. It also might be the reason why I have become so religious lately.

Having a gratitude journal is a waste of time and paper, because I tend to pray every day and gratitude is a part of that (besides swearing and all the anger because Gods are clearly not very good at their job, othervise this planet would look a lot nicer). It started when I was tiny and was saying goodbye to all the things I liked in case I'd die in my sleep (what to say, I was a weird kid and you are at necromancer's blog, remember?) and therefore wouldn't have the chance to say it to them. It continued for many years and later developed into prayers in a more... hm... common manner. And if I am not in a place where I can pray, or do not have the time, I usually kiss the rings I wear every day to at least dedicate a quick little thought to the moment that made me feel... well feel.

So... I am saying nope to a gratitude journal. Unfortunatelly I tend to say nope to all kinds of journals, because I am bad at writing as I said previously. However, there are certain ways I jot down some of the memories frequently:

a) Bullet Journal
I don't use the monthly spread for the future planning or anything like that - I use the calendar in my phone for that - but instead I write the single best thing that happened that day even if it's the sheer fact that that day is over. It's a nice, quick little overview of things that made me happy.

b) Evernote
I use the web clipper excesively not only for research, school and writings but also for saving inspiring stuff or stuff to get back to in the future or anything I want to remember or screenshot.

c) Letters
For a couple of months now, I am trying to get back to a written journal, and while I still do not write as often as I'd like to, I do like the fact that I don't have a notebook dedicated to my day to day life or random essays, but instead I write them in a form of letters. Regency letters to be more specific.

I take an A4 paper (as of now I usually rip out two pages from a lined A5 notebook), sit down for ten to twenty minutes, write whateverthehell I want and the fold it like this:







After that, it looks small and cute and fits perfectly into empty tea boxes. Which means two things: I will easily forget what I have written, I can't read the previous entries without unfolding each individual letter (I'm way too lazy for that) and that makes reminiscing more special when I do decide to go over them. And secondly: all my diary entries now smell after my favourite teas. Delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment