29/03/2016

Day 10: Stargaze.

(252P/LINEAR)

I do admit that I had an ulterior motive for staying up the whole night. I've been fascinated with space and the stars ever since I was a little girl, I even considered becoming an astrophysicist. And even though this dream is long abandoned, I am still trying to stay at least a bit up to date with what's going on up there,

252P/LINEAR is one of the two comets that appeared on the night sky at the end of this month, but the thing special about 252P was her colour - she was bright green. And what more - she was 100 times brighter than scientists expected, so there was a chance to spot it even without a telescope.

The unfortunate thing is that the only thing I recognize nowadays at night is the Moon and the constellation of Orion. The rest... I've just completely forgotten throughout the years. The second unforutnate thing is that this is the capital, so the light pollution is way higher than in my home town. The third unfortunate thing is that the comet is now moving away from Earth and the Sun, so no one really knows when it will return. And the last unfortunate thing - beside stupid clouds ruining my whole stargazing night - was the fact that the Moon was really big and continued flooding the sky with its stupid light, which made it impossible - at least for poor little me - to spot this beautiful thing.

The good things are that I didn't catch a cold and now I am able to recognize Mars and the biggest star of the Scorpio constellation - Antares. And I also managed to learn some more things about Europe before the doomsday I mean morning.