07/12/2016

Etiquette (week 1)

And so the writing continues. I have already 1k words more than I actually need for my new little story, which makes me really happy. Writing has been a nice little retreat to take every single day, as my anxiety keeps creeping up to new heights with the semester coming to an end. But I haven't really introduced my new story have I?

Well, I want to take a part in a competition I participated long time ago, because after NaNoWriMo, I kinda miss writing in Czech. (And I want to win that thing too.) The aspiring writer life haven't been exactly kind to me so far, but I have regained my motivation and I really want to create a short story or a novella I will be proud of, before I get back to work on my novel from this November (no, I haven't abandoned it, shush).

The deadline for the competition is in July and it's for fantasy stories of any length. And since I haven't really written a classic sword and sorcery story for a long time, I wanted to give it a try. With the exception that I'll have rapiers. Because I really loved the musketeers when I was a kid and http://mint-teatime.blogspot.cz/ was recently gushing to me about the new BBC show which has ignited the spark once again.

So this first week has been mostly outlining and researching the 17th century France, which was the original setting of the musketeer's books by Dumas, but now that I have looked into it, I think I will push it a bit further, to the reign of Louis XIV and XVI, so I can work with shady cardinals, crazy Versailles manners and some of my favourite women from this era: Madame de Pompadour and Marie Antoinette. I think it will be really fun to twist the common tropes about fantasy knights and what not into French baroque. Or a fantasy imitation of it as it's not going to be a historical novel, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment